July 31, 2015
As more and more people are processing most of their e-mail and tasks on their smartphones, many of the 1MTD and MYN system principles are getting harder to accomplish for Outlook users. Many of the tools we are accustomed to in a desktop copy of Outlook just aren’t there on our smartphones.
This is complicated by the fact that many large corporations are locking down their employees’ smartphones and not allowing installed third-party apps to have access to their Exchange Server. So while you can install some apps that might provide the solutions you need, they won’t work for you if they can’t reach your servers.
Switch to Toodledo?
One solution that you should seriously consider now is to stop using the Outlook tasks module and start using Toodledo for tasks. Here are some advantages of Toodledo for a heavy smartphone e-mail user:
- The Toodledo company has excellent task management apps for the iPhone and Android platforms that configure well for 1MTD and MYN. And a wide range of third-party apps also sync with Toodledo servers—those servers have become a standard for cloud-based task management on smartphones.
- Tasks are stored on Toodledo’s (Amazon-based) servers and so smartphone and web access is normally not blocked by standard corporate protection systems. Toodledo software also have encryption options for security.
- It is very easy to convert e-mails on your smartphone (or desktop) into Toodledo tasks by simply forwarding them. So it works with any e-mail system on any device. This solves a common problem of reading a smartphone e-mail but, since you’re not able to convert it to a task in the moment, you lose track of it.
- If you use a Mac, you’ll find that Toodledo’s task module is much better than the Mac-Outlook task module.
- Toodledo’s task module is even better than the Windows Outlook task module in some ways. For example, it supports due dates correctly.
- Toodledo’s browser app is excellent for managing 1MTD and MYN tasks, and has a one-step MYN configuration command built in.
The disadvantage of using Toodledo for tasks, of course, is that your task module is no longer visible right next to your e-mail, as it is when using the Windows Outlook To-Do bar. But if you are reading the vast majority of your email on your smartphone, that doesn’t really matter does it? [See other disadvantages in my note in the comments section below]
As you probably know, Toodledo is the only other task module (other than Outlook) that I actively support. I have a full video class on how to use Toodledo with MYN, and I keep that class as up-to-date as I keep the Outlook class. I personally used the Toodledo software for about two years as my primary task management system, and I loved it. You can of course continue to use Outlook for managing e-mail, calendar, and contacts, and just switch your task management to Toodledo—that’s what I did for a few years.
So if you’re finding yourself reading and processing your emails mostly on your smartphone, perhaps now is the time to switch over to Toodledo.