Nov 15, 2011
Well, I finally got around to writing up some instructions on how to configure Ultimate To-Do List for 1MTD and for MYN. Below are those instructions.
Downloading and Installing
First, search the Android Market for “Ultimate To-Do List.” You will see “License” and a Free version. Get the Free for now. Add the License later to activate it beyond the trial version.
Once installed on your Android, note that the icon/title in your apps list says “To-Do List” (without the word Ultimate—some people get confused about that); click it to start the software and then do these configuration steps:
- In the first screen choose Sync with an existing Toodledo.com Account
- The next screen asks you to name your account. Why? UTDL lets you create multiple “accounts” each with its own to-do list. This is useful if you have multiple ToodleDo web accounts for example and want to be able to swap between them on the fly (nice feature). So give this first account any name you want.
- Then input the email and password for your ToodleDo web account. It will sync.
It will then take you to a Fields/Functions screen that offers “Keep it Simple”, “Intermediate Level,” and so on.
Then, for 1MTD…
For my readers who are using the simple One Minute To-Do List system (1MTD), just do this:
- Choose Intermediate.
- Then at the main task screen click the big down arrow at the bottom right and Sort By Priority and Then By Title, And Finally By None. Click Save.
- And, simple 1MTD users, you are done!
For my more advanced MYN users, do this:
- At the Fields/Functions screen Choose Power User (it’s at the bottom).
- You are then going to clear green boxes next to a whole bunch of fields to remove those fields (if you are an experienced ToodleDo user you may have reasons to keep a few of these, I leave that to you). For MYN you can/should remove: Contexts, Expected Length, Folders for Notes, Folders for Tasks, Star, Start Time, Status, Subtasks, Tags, Timer.
- And then click Continue.
- Next, you will see a list of views. Click on All Tasks. You’ll see your tasks, but we’re not done yet.
- Let’s add some sorting first. On the icon menu bar at the bottom click on the big down pointing arrow near the right. You want to set sorting to Sort By Priority Highest First, Then By Start Date Latest First, And Finally By <None>. Click Save.
- Next, we need to filter out tasks with future start dates. To do that, On the icon menu bar at the bottom of the task list click on the big Funnel icon. Click Add Filter Rule, then select Start Date from scrolling list. In the next screen leave everything as is and click Save. Then Save again.
- Now back at your tasks list, you are pretty much done. But here is one more (optional) setting: Click the hardware menu button and choose Settings. Click on New Tasks Defaults and set it to Start Date Today, Due Date None, and Priority Medium. Then click the hardware return button to get back to your tasks list.
- You are done now.
For All Users
Notice the color coding in the left edge for priority: orange is high, yellow is medium, and blue is low priority. If you use Top priority for Significant Outcomes, those will be red.
Whenever you enter the software, you’ll probably want to click on All Tasks; that’s now your 1MTD/MYN tasks list.
That should do it for now. Later I’ll create a fancy narrated video showing all of the above and more; in that video I will also show some other optional settings. But that video will probably only be made available in one of my paid video courses (my accountant keeps telling me I am giving too much away for free; he’s probably right!).